What we do
We offer a variety of services, all designed to making cycling an accessible activity by all. Here are some of our core services.
Anyone can hire a bike for an agreed fee. Prices to hire our electric bikes specifically are:
- £12.50 for a half day’s hire (up to four hours).
- £25 for a full day’s hire (up to 7.5 hours).
- 2 forms of ID (1 photo) plus £150 deposit on each bike.
- Contact us for further information.
Loans of bikes can be offered free to people for whom cost is a barrier and this is subject to referrals by recognised health or social care organisations, Self-Referrals are also considered (choose “make a referral” on our Get In Touch page).
To encourage eBike use we offer FREE test rides on our fleet of eBikes
Formal ID will be required for anyone loaning a bike. Contact us to discuss the best option for you.
We accept used bikes of any kind (including balance bikes) as donations from the public and partner organisations. Donated bikes are repaired and recycled then either donated to those in need or sold at low cost. All proceeds from sales and servicing go to maintaining our fleet of loan bikes and enable us to donate more bikes to those who would be otherwise unable to take up cycling.
Cycle training, bike maintenance and Dr Bike sessions, led bike rides
We offer training and led rides, designed to help improve your cycling confidence. Our volunteers also receive training. We offer competitively priced bike servicing and repairs. All our mechanics are trained to industry standard with a minimum of Velotech Gold qualification
Cycling promotion advice and resources
We can help you promote cycling in your workplace or community or school. You can even hire our smoothie bike!
Who can use the West Lothian Bike Library?
The simple answer is – anyone! Some reasons you might be interested in using our services:
- It’s been a long time since you were last on a bike, but you want to give it a go with a bit of friendly support.
- You’re struggling to fund your travel to work or training, and a temporary loan of a bike could really help you out.
- Your balance is perhaps not what it used to be due to health issues, or you have a condition that limits your mobility, and you could do with a bike that gives you additional support.
- Your organisation wants to get more staff or students on bikes.
For any of our services that require payment, we accept card payments and also PayPal. As a Community Interest Company, we also really value donations! Access our PayPal payment method via our PayPal button below.